27 Jan 2008

Holocaust Remembrance Day


Today is Holocaust Memorial Day. Remember, reflect and react to create a better future.

There have been a number of events throughout the country. For details of these events and to light your own candle in remembrance of the victims and the survivivors visit the Holocaust Memorial Day
website.

Pink News
reported on how the nation remembered today.

For further details about the persecution of gay men by the Nazis read
here.

Link to United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USMMM)
I leave you to reflect on the famous poem by Pastor Martin Niemoller (1892–1984) abut the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of group by group of people......
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

No comments: